FC 3 issues

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 19:51:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:14:37 -0500 (EST), Noah Silva wrote:
> 1. Vino doesn't get installed. (on 3 systems so far).

Should you expect it to?
My understanding is... upgrades are designed to give you something as
close to what you had previously.. and not the equivlalent of a fresh
install.  If vino or another new package or new technology is added to
the distribution, upgrades are not necessarily expected or designed to
pull in that new functionality if it is not required or if it does not
replace existing functionality. Upgrading from fc2 to fc3 is
inherently different than a fresh install of fc3. I don't think you
can expect to see "new" packages installed when upgrading. Vino
doesn't replace existing fc2 package set functionality, so its not
clear to me that anything would require vino to being installed when
doing the upgrade.  Perhaps there is a misunderstanding of what the
installer's upgrade option is meant to do.

> 2. The new IME system UI (gimlet) doesn't get installed either, but the
> old one gets erased! (on 2 systems so far).  Also the IME help on the
> fedora site says to add "gimlet" to the panel, but even when installed,
> the app isn't listed in the applet list as "Gimlet" but something like
> "Imput Method Editor" (and the package name for yumisn't gimlet either).

Again... im not sure its expected that an upgrade will install this.
Perhaps the packaging needs to be adjusted to provide or conflict with
the older langauge switcher package to ensure it is installed as a
replacement to the older language switcher functionality. Do you know
the name of the package in fc2 that was removed that provided similar
functionality?

And I'm not sure to what page on the website you are refering to.
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/i18n/iiimf-faq.html clearly states that
applet will be listed as "InputMethod Switcher" in the applet list.
The package name is iiimf-gnome-im-switcher. 'yum provides gimlet'
helped me find the package.  Perhaps the faq should be updated to
mention the package by name for situations where the package needs to
be installed. But from the looks of the faq, installation issues are
not the focus, and the faq seems to assume that all the packages are
already installed on the system.  If an update to the faq is needed,
perhaps the best thing to do is to try communicate what you think
specifically should be reworded or added in the faq, and drop a note
into the fedora-i18n-list mailinglist where the project leaders are
more likely to read it.. or file a bug about the faq into bugzilla.

-jef