Xorg still does not work properly on Sony Picturebook

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Oct 3 15:47:10 UTC 2004

I just upgraded my Sony C1VFK laptop from FC2 to FC3t2,
following a suggestion on the Fedora-list that this might help
get my problem with xorg solved.

XFree86 worked perfectly in FC-1, and in all previous Redhat distributions
on this laptop with 16bpp x 1024 x 480,
but I've only been able to get xorg to work in 8bpp.

When X is run with DefaultDepth 16 I get a large black oval on the screen
which gradually changes to a blank white screen.
There is no X error listed,
and I am able to get to a console terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F1.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

I have filed an xorg bugzilla,
but I've seen no evidence it has ever been looked at.
(I tried also to file one with redhat bugzilla
but for some reason my application failed (3 times).
I was told I would get confirmation email but it never arrived.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366