Zip drive not working

Tom Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 22:06:07 UTC 2004

On Sunday 03 October 2004 12:02, Leon Stringer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My internal Zip drive does not work with FC3t2. It worked on install
> with FC2 so I guess it should with FC3?
>
> (Details below).
>
> Is this just a bug I should report somewhere? Is this working for anyone
> else?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Leon...
> ---
> /etc/sysconfig/hwconf entry:
>
> class: FLOPPY
> bus: IDE
> detached: 0
> device: hdb
> driver: ignore
> desc: "IOMEGA ZIP 250 ATAPI"
> physical: 0/0/0
> logical: 96/64/32
>
> Corresponding /etc/fstab entry:
>
> /dev/hdb                /media/floppy           auto
> noauto,user,exec,kudzu 0 0
>
> Working /etc/fstab entry from FC2:
> /dev/hdb4               /mnt/zip                auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Hi Leon:

You may have a problem with privileges.  The /etc/fstab shows "owner" not
"user".  Are you trying to use the zip drive as a user or as root/su?  If
you're trying to us it as a normal user you need to change the /etc/fstab
entry to:

/dev/hdb4     /mnt/zip    auto noauto,user,kudzu 0 0

Also check /dev/hdb4 to ensure the device was created.

--
Tom Taylor
registered linux user #263467

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we,"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
people - and neither do we." - George W. Bush, Aug 2004

Let us know if that doesn't do the trick.

Tom