Udev and fstab - beginners question

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 13:04:28 UTC 2004

Matias Feliciano wrote:
> man udev :
>         SYMLINK
>               The name of a symlink targeting the node. Multiple symlinks  may
>               be specified by separating the names by the space character.

ok... _I_ should RTFM also ... :)

> Another point :
> form : file:///usr/share/doc/udev-032/writing_udev_rules/index.html
>         It is important that your own rules get processed before the
>         udev defaults, otherwise your own naming schemes will not take
>         effect! I suggest that you keep your own rules in a file at
>         /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules (this doesn't exist by default
>         - create it). As 10 comes before 50, you know that your rules
>         will be looked at first.
>
>         As your own rules will effectively mask out the udev defaults
>         which create the base /dev layout, it is recommended that you
>         also specify devfs-style names/symlinks for the rules you write,
>         so that you get the sensible defaults plus your own names.
>

> So, your solution does not works :-)
> With your solution and for "CREATIVE DVD-ROM DVD1243E" (hdb), i only
> have dvdrom :
> $ ll /dev/ | grep hdb
> ll /dev  | grep hdb
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root        3 oct  4 14:40 dvdrom -> hdb
> brw-r-----   1 root  disk   3,  64 oct  4 14:40 hdb
>
> Note that "<cdrom>=/dev/cdrom*" from /etc/security/console.perms is not
> apply.
>
> With my "not so broken" rule :
> # ll /dev  | grep hdb
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root        3 oct  4 14:51 cdrom -> hdb
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root        3 oct  4 14:51 dvd -> hdb
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root        3 oct  4 14:51 dvdrom -> hdb
> brw-------   1 test2 disk   3,  64 oct  4 14:51 hdb

$ man udev
        SYMLINK
               If  only  the symlink field is given and the name field is omit-
               ted, the rule will not be applied immediatly,  but  the  symlink
               field is added to the symlink list of the rule which will create
               the node.  This makes it possible to specify additional symlinks
               in  a  possibly  separate rules file, while the device nodes are
               maintained by the distribution provided rules file.

maybe you left NAME="%k" ...