Yum repositories

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 4 14:30:18 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> said:
> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 10:23, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> > up2date uses an automatic mechanism to choose mirrors.
> > Yum does not.
>
> yum _can_ though.
>
> It just isn't configured that way in the default rpm.

This is kind of annoying - we have two package install/update tools that
use the same underlying mechanisms but have different configs.  Not only
that, but they are not configured to operate the same out of the box.

If up2date is configured to use mirrors by default, shouldn't yum be
configured that way as well?  If there's a good reason NOT to configure
yum that way, shouldn't that reason apply to up2date as well?

Why do we need both up2date and yum?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>