Yum repositories

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:42:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:20:24 +0100, Timothy Murphy
<tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> I upgraded from FC2, and as far as I can see my /etc/yum.conf has not changed.

Upgraded from fc2 how?
Did you ever hand-edit yum.conf when you were running fc2?
Its a retorical question, of course you did, you have livna configured
which is not configured by default in fc2.

rpm -V yum
Every line returned from this command shows you a file that has some
aspect modified from the file that would be installed by default. I
bet it returns a line about yum.conf.

rpm has a 'feature' associated with how to handle configuration files
when a package is updated. rpm tries very hard to be respectful of
local configuration changes. If a configuration file was ever hand
editted in such a way that rpm -V marks it as modified, rpm is smart
enough to leave the customized configuration file as it is and gives
you the new default as whatever.rpmnew  or if it replaces a customized
file saves your old config as .rpmsave.  I bet if you look in /etc/
you will find an yum.conf.rpmnew.  In this case rpm left your old
hand-editted yum.conf and placed the new default on the system as
yum.conf.rpmnew.

Now to your livna problem specifically.  yum 2.1.x   uses a completely
different repository metadata approach than yum 2.0.x. So in the case
of livna, you must use different url definitions when using the yum
2.1.x that is in the test releases. The yum.conf that works on fc2
with livna is NOT expected to work with yum 2.1.x in the test
releases.

-jef