MySQL 4

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 6 20:21:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 09:19:06PM +0200, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

> Whatever prevents RedHat from shipping php-mysql package for MySQL 4.

This would require making the PHP license GPL-compatible and, quite frankly,
the developers are not interested.

> Even when the official website of the copyright owner provides a more
> recent and less restrictive license? I guess this is one of the issues

Well, websites can change, for one thing.

> You are right, but I guess SuSE, Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, Rock Linux
> and some more do have lawyers and they all come with MySQL 4.

SuSe is not an american company (or is it these days?), Gentoo and
Rock ship source as their main means of distribution, which
lets them off the hook as to what happens when you link the binaires
and Debian does not have any laywers that I know of.

Emmanuel