MySQL 4

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 20:49:25 UTC 2004

Thomas Zehetbauer said:
[snip]

> You are right, but I guess SuSE, Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, Rock Linux
> and some more do have lawyers and they all come with MySQL 4.

Without spending too much time researching it, I picked one: Debian.  They
don't ship PHP linked against MySQL for (and I assume other non-GPL
programs aren't either).  Instead they created a library package.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libmysqlclient10

"This package contains a fork of the MySQL client library for use with
software that is distributed under a GPL-incompatible license. Because it
is based on an older, LGPL version of the official MySQL client library,
it may lack features available in the MySQL 4.0 libs. If you are looking
for a library for use in a GPL application, or in software which will not
be distributed by Debian, you may prefer to use the official library from
MySQL AB instead."

Same idea, different way to approach it.  Red Hat decided to stay with the
old version, Debian decided to ship two sets of libraries.

--
William Hooper