MySQL 4

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Thu Oct 7 10:11:39 UTC 2004

On Mit, 2004-10-06 at 19:37 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I take it you think the more permissive LGPL shouldn't exist and
> should never be used?

Indeed, the LGPL allows commercial closed source applications to benefit
from open source applications without the obligation to contribute
anything to the open source community.

> Sigh, you aren't qualified to intelligently debate the finer points of
> the FOSS exception.

And I doubt you are.

> Shouldn't you take solace in the fact that the right people at Red Hat
> is engaged on the legal issues so that the legal specifics get worked
> out to everyone's  satification.

RedHat has yet failed to argue the specific issues they have with MySQL
being GPL licensed.

> >RedHat still refused to update
> > MySQL because the new license was only on their website and not in the
> > distribution.
>
> Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Again you aren't qualified to
> remark as to what counts as a legally binding licensing agreement.

And again I doubt that you are. As stated in one of my earlier posts
this is very likely a issue only a judge can decide on.

> Again you aren't qualifed to remark on the technical details of
> whether the FOSS exception actual does what is intented, and if its
> actually workable.

Correct, but I trust MySQL's lawyers that they have resolved the open
source linking issues that have been brought to their attention. At
least the MySQL people show some efforts to resolve the issue while
RedHat just keeps whining that they have changed the license.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Chaos is the only form of life, order was caused by the Nazis and millions died!
                                                 - Peter Wenzl