production usage of test releases. (was abandoning FC3-T2)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at
Thu Oct 7 16:13:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 07:35 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> If no one attempted testing in a production environment, bugs caused by
> high loads or corporate use would probably go undetected and propegate
> to the final release.

Entirely correct.

> On the bad side is possible data loss or corruption or downing a company
>   from functioning. (True live ops would not be wise)
> I would not suggest production use of test releases, but simulated tests
> in production-like conditions seems fair practice to me.

However, allow me to quote from joelbryan's first post:

"Hey, I've installed five FC3T2 on our University server, that is used
by over 3000 PCs as a DHCP, SQUID, Firewall, Zebra Router, and a
Gateway.............. If this doesn't work, I'm srewed man..."

That sounds like "true live ops" to me, not "simulated tests in
production-like conditions" or "software R&D". Installing a test release
to show management what it looks like is great... putting 3,000 client
boxes behind it and depending on it for critical services is just

Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at>