MySQL 4

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Thu Oct 7 19:51:00 UTC 2004

On Don, 2004-10-07 at 09:40 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Wrong.  It has been stated many times in many places the exact problem.
> You apparently are choosing to ignore that.  The specific issue is that
> the Open Source license that PHP is released under is incompatible with
> the GNU GPL.

MySQL claims to have resolved this issue with the FOSS exception, but
there is still no MySQL4 in RedHat.

> Since PHP is widely used and is widely used to talk to MySQL via php-
> mysql, php-mysql is a required package.  The only way to follow all
> appropriate licenses is to link php-mysql against the LGPL licensed
> MySQL, version 3.23.

As Debian has shown this doesn't prevent one from shipping and using
MySQL4.

> You download a source tarball.  It has a file that states the license.
> How can it get any clearer?  If MySQL AB wants to release the source
> under a new license, they build a new tarball with a new license.

The tarballs are version specific and remain unchanged once a version
has been released. I trust MySQL that they would not sue anyone for
linking with PHP, especially after they have released the FOSS exception
and I very much doubt that they could even succeed.

> And who do you think is talking with MySQL's lawyers to try to get this
> resolved?  BTW it is "Red Hat" (two words).

I am sure that MySQL has received their share of protest from the
community, but in contrast to RedHat they have worked towards a
solution.

I refrain from commenting on your absurd nightmares.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Why do you call your dog 1234?
My admin told me not to name my password after my dog.