New kernel, should be the default

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Oct 8 17:16:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:39:24 +0200, Matias Féliciano wrote:

> We can expect that new kernels are better (bug or security fix).

We _hope_ that it's true, but we cannot rely on it, and certainly
not enough to make a new kernel the default for everyone.

> At that time, new installed kernel are not the default.
>
> $ rpm -q --scripts kernel
> /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod --install 2.6.8-1.603
>
> Why ?
>
> With FC3, grub show only the default kernel. If you don't take care, you
> can boot with a old kernel (which have a security issue).

Then do take care during reboot.

> Editing /boog/grub/grub.conf should be require only if something goes
> wrong.

No. Unattended, accidental or unexpected reboots would boot the new
kernel automatically, which might not be desired.

--
Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) - Linux 2.6.8-1.598
loadavg: 3.50 3.18 2.28