New kernel, should be the default

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Oct 10 07:12:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 18:06 +0100, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> If you use YUM to update your kernel then the new kernel is the default
> kernel.
>
> When you use RPM the old kernel is the default.

If you use up2date, the default in FC3-T2 is the *old* kernel. But ever
since up2date came into existence, the default has been the *new*
kernel. This idea of booting the old kernel by default is new behavior,
and only since the FC3 test releases at that.

Who changed the default, and why? It took me two days to find out that I
*wasn't* using the newest kernel! Changing defaults like that should
***NOT*** be done lightly and without notifying the user.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>