Stupied network - Why can't it be friendly?

Perra per.winkvist at comhem.se
Mon Oct 11 18:36:31 UTC 2004

Hi,

If I boot my laptop without the network cable attached I have to wait
almost a minute before "bringing up network" times out. Can't it just
detect that link is down? (When I remove/plugin my network cable
serveral times I can se lots of link up/down messages while doing dmesg)

Then when I attach the cable I want it to startup the network without
me suing to root and running "service network restart"?

With howl, I thought it would be possible to connect two linux machines
with a crossover cable and have howl automagically setup 10.0.0.{1,2}
correctly in each end.

Other from that FC3t2 is really slick!

  Perra