Desktop Development Specialization

Tue Oct 12 01:28:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 20:17, joelbryan wrote:
> What if Fedora Core development was divided in two divisions, the
> GNOME division and the KDE division, the releases will be available to
> be GNOME-only or KDE-only releases on seperate iso's, the GNOME ISO
> will specializes only on GNOME softwares and applications. There will
> be a micro-managed bug fixing for GNOME-only related softwares, the
> effort will be concentrating on much more focused approach than the
> traditional (hybrid ISO's), same to the KDE ISO, wherein include a
> KDE-only related (or specialized) softwares and applications.

Which version contains Xfce (which I run)?

You are also not considering that there are folks, myself included, who
run a mix of apps, both gtk and qt (like k3b) in our current
environments.

I think that you are taking too much of a black and white perspective
here. There is already a lot of divisiveness over these issues and I
don't think that this would help. There are already maintainers focused
on specific components, which roll up into the full FC releases and I
think that this approach serves the community well.

My 2 cents.

Marc