Stupied network - Why can't it be friendly?

Perra per.winkvist at comhem.se
Tue Oct 12 10:55:12 UTC 2004

citerar Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com>:

> Or, you could use NetworkManager.  Which has a chunk of UI integration
> in the form of a wireless applet in your notification area on either
the
> GNOME or KDE panel, and allows network device control (and access
point
> switching) from that applet.  Packages are in rawhide, but I don't
> recommend using them today.  We're going to make a much-improved
release
> probably tomorrow, and then updated packages will go into rawhide.
>
> NetworkManager is the combination of a system daemon and a user-side
> daemon to automatically manage your network devices, attempting to
keep
> a network connection up and running.  If you're at your desk with a
> cable plugged in, and unplug that cable, NM will attempt to connect
to a
> wireless network you've selected previously, and when you plug back in
> (after the meeting, or after the park, whatever) it will switch back
> the wired connection.
>
> Its basically netplugd/ifplugd/waproamd with a nice user-interface
and a
> dbus API so people can write cool applications that know about and
alter
> the network's state.
>
> Dan

Cool, I assume it's independant of X running too. Can it handle local
crossover links as well?

I don't wanna disable the network interfaces during startup since I run
rc.local services that needs net access (net provider login & NTP time
sync). This might not be a problem if NetworkManager allows having
programs to be run when link goes up/down. Then I usually get my
hostname during this step and starting x before the hostname is set
isn't a very good idea...

Nice to hear that something is happing to this!

  Perra