kernel-2.6.8-1.603 brings back refresh problem for 815 Graphics Controller

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 12 11:30:33 UTC 2004

Adam Yates wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> I just booted up using the kernel-2.6.8-1.603 and had a very familiar
>> problem that I used to only have with loser resolutions and depths.
>> With the new kernel, even the higher color and depths exhibit the
>> refresh problem.
>>
>> I added this to the triage bug for the refresh problem.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Do you know if this problem affects laptop displays? I have successfully
> run core 1 & 2, but whenever it tries to
> do anything with x as far as gui stuff, even system-config-display, it
> hangs up on me.
> Any suggestions?

I had the hanging problem with a radeon 7200 recently. I have not had
problems on the only laptop that I install Fedora on.

If you can run /sbin/lspci and see which type of graphics controller
that the laptop has, someone might have similar hardware and know a
workaround for bypassing this failure.

With the 815 Graphics controller which is used on a lot of
desktops/laptops, system-config-display is usable. The resulting X
server is unusable because of all items on the screen do not get updated
  and you get messy output.

If you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file created already, you might try
the vesa driver in place of whatever screen driver is in this file. The
vesa driver does not work for Graphics controllers though. You would end
up with diagonal lines across the GUI.

lspci output and the xorg.conf file might be handy for determining why
you are getting this error.

Jim