Getting started questions...

Jeremy Rosengren jeremy.rosengren at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 19:29:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:10:02 -0400, Neil B. Cohen <nbc at cisco.com> wrote:
> 1) I could not find apt-get/synaptic for FC3. I tried installing the
> rpm's I used on FC2. When I mark the upgrade files, it tells me it wants
> to remove 100+ packages. Is there an apt-get and/or synaptic for FC3 at
> this point? What should the config file look like?

apt-get is not included in the distribution at this point because it
does not yet use the common metadata format that up2date and yum use.
Therefore, apt packages are maintained by the third-party repositories
(freshrpms, dag, atrpms, etc.)  I don't ever visit fedora.us, so I
don't know if it's there too or not.

I'm sure this applies to the other apt packages, but I've had decent
success using the FC2 apt package from freshrpms.  The
/etc/apt/sources.list file included with that package has an entry for
updating to rawhide.

> 2) The RHN update was telling me there were 250+ upgrades available, but
> when I tried to install them, they all complained of invalid signatures.
> What should I be using as a config file for up2date
> (in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources)?

Turn GPG key checking off in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date during development.

> 3) I also tried 'yum update' and it just crashed - again, what should
> the config file for yum look like?

I just installed FC3 test3 on a machine last night and the default yum
configuration worked fine for me.

-- jeremy