Config modified?

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Wed Oct 13 01:50:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 17:40 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 19:21 -0400, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> > RPM didn't change.  up2date did.
> >

> OK, that's one useful piece of information. Thanks.
>
> > > I liked the old behavior one hell of a lot better. I don't see this
> > > being very user-friendly at all, but rather more of an obstacle to most
> > > users getting their packages updated.
> >
> > I don't like it either, but at least it can be changed.
> >

> As I use Fedora, and particularly now that I'm thinking in a "test"
> mentality, I keep thinking about the average user, who does not have
> much computing knowledge. I keep thinking about the users coming to
> Linux from Windows, and in some cases giving up because the learning
> curve is too great.
>
> For the beginner and average user, is this new up2date behavior
> sensible? I don't think so. Does someone? Is there any other benefit to
> it that I don't see? If there is, is that benefit worth the cost?

Well, I know the current behavior is not ideal but, I can also imagine
some new users being angry because, their system keeps forgetting some
of it settings after an update (obviously this only affects systems
files, not the user settings which are usually stored in his/her
account).

I don't think there is any easy solution to this issue (apart from the
current behavior of alerting the user of possible changes and making
backups of the changed files).

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>