FC3T2 I2O support installation t bug

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 05:44:02 UTC 2004

Hi Jarod,

 --- Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2004, at 07:19,
> fedora-test-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
>
> > From: Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com>
> > Subject: Re: FC3T2 I2O support installation t bug
> >
> > Michael Mansour wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I decided to try the I2O support in FC3T2, since
> >> currently run FC1 on that machine and trying to
> >> upgrade to FC2 fails on that server (can't detect
> >> disks from installation), and as I've just found
> out,
> >> so does FC3T2.
> >>
> >> I've read the material on:
> >>
> >> http://i2o.shadowconnect.com/fedora.php
>
> Likewise, and still no dice...
>
> > AFAIK manually choosing the I2O block driver from
> the menu should no
> > longer be needed.  It sounds to me like your I2O
> card has some PCI ID
> > that the kernel module does not know about.  Can
> you please provide the
> > lspci -v and lspci -n?
>
> I've also got an Adaptec card for which the i2o
> block driver
> auto-loads, but no drives are ever found, in either
> the RHEL4b1
> installer or FC3t3 installer.
>
> Adaptec 2100S, BIOS 1.62, 128MB cache, 4x36G drives
> set up as a RAID-5
> array. I saw mention of a patch missing from FC3t2
> to support 128MB
> cache cards, which was supposedly going to make it
> into t3, but I
> haven't followed closely what the status is on
> that...
>
> # lspci -v
> 00:0c.0 PCI bridge: Adaptec (formerly DPT) PCI
> Bridge (rev 02) (prog-if
> 00 [Normal decode])
>          Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency
> 64
>          Bus: primary=00, secondary=02,
> subordinate=02, sec-latency=64
>          Capabilities: [68] Power Management version
> 2
>
> 00:0c.1 I2O: Adaptec (formerly DPT) SmartRAID V
> Controller (rev 02)
> (prog-if 01)
>          Subsystem: Adaptec (formerly DPT) 2000S
> Ultra3 Single Channel
>          Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency
> 64, IRQ 16
>          BIST result: 00
>          Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
> [size=128M]
>          Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
> [size=32K]
>          Capabilities: [80] Power Management version
> 2
>

> # lspci -n
> 00:0c.0 Class 0604: 1044:a500 (rev 02)
> 00:0c.1 Class 0e00: 1044:a501 (rev 02)
>
> Interesting that lspci calls it a 2000S, its
> definitely a 2100S (my
> memory says so, and so does the BIOS at POST)...
>
> --
> Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
> jcw at wilsonet.com

While chatting about this, I decided to goto the
website (supermicro) to look for firmware updates for
the Adaptec card. Since that card is specifically for
that supermicro board, I found an update for it and
will look at applying it sometime in the future after
posting my "lspci" output here first.

You think a firmware update may make the difference?
maybe you can do that on your board and post here how
it goes?

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com