New kernel, should be the default (see also hiddenmenu).

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Wed Oct 13 13:31:24 UTC 2004

tir, 12.10.2004 kl. 22.43 skrev Ricardo Veguilla:
> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 12:27 -0700, Tom Mitchell wrote:
>

> > > You get the option to press any key within a timeframe which you can
> > > specify in grub.conf to display the menu.
> >
> > This is easy enough for us but is this the situation
> > we want untrained users in.  i.e.  Default kernel does
> > not boot the new kernel and the presence of a new kernel
> > is not notified.
> >
> > N.B. The "red hat network alert notification tool"
> > will tell users that there is a newer kernel and
> > advise them to reboot.  These instructions are not
> > sufficient for the untrained because the reboot will
> > not boot the new kernel.
> >

> Thats why I suggested that "hiddenmenu" plus "latest kernel becomes
> boots as default" was a safe choice for stable releases, which, I'm
> assuming, is what "less experienced user" are probably going to use.
>
> But then again, "hiddenmenu" should only be set as default (by the
> installer) if the user is only using fedora. If Windows and/or other OS
> are detected, then obviously, the menu should be visible.

Agreed. I have not objected to hiddenmenu at all. I just hope that it
WILL display the menu if there is another OS present.

Personally, i think the best of the best solution would be to display
exactly "hiddenmenu" (with a versy short timeout) if fedora is the only
os, and display "simplemenu" if there was another OS present (with a bit
longer timeout...). If the user then pressed a key (f.eks "f" for
"fullmenu"), the whole shebang would show up (after typing any
might-existing grub passwords).

Kyrre