Smaller /boot?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Oct 13 21:06:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 14:31 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
> Not to disagree that the suggestion could be lower (just a quick look
> shows my used space at ~25MB) but, a major part of the RULE project (and I
> imagine other low-end focused spin-offs) is the custom installer.  If the
> hardware is such that RULE is needed, changing Anaconda won't make a
> difference.  Anaconda should stay focused on the "Recommended" standard,
> not the "Minimum" standard.

If I were suggesting this change based on RULE and/or similar projects,
I would entirely agree with you. However, my point is that I see quite a
few installed systems that are pretty short on space and that have 90%
(or 95%) free space in their /boot partitions.

My interest is based on hunting for (even small) improvements I can
suggest to improve the experience of many users with Fedora Core, and my
thought in this case was that moving recommended to 50 and minimum to 30
would hurt no one and help some... I have yet to see *any* system using
more than 50MB in /boot, even though I'm sure there are some out there.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>