Minimal install (was: Re: Smaller /boot?)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Oct 13 22:30:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 15:15 -0700, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> Perhaps, It would be nice to add 'VERY-tiny' to the list of possible
> installation sets down under custom.  I suspect that some package
> decisions make "VERY-tiny" harder to do than talk about.

This really should be the "minimal" option already given... it's just
that even the minimal option shows as much weight gain as the U.S.
population. <grin>

I've already done a fair bit of work on this, and have managed (with the
help of several other individuals) to figure out how to reduce FC1's
"minimal" install of 505MB down to around 375MB with no real loss in
functionality. Maybe not "VERY-tiny" but a heck of a lot smaller!

Now that T3 is out, I'll be making a similar effort for FC3 and I would
like to submit it to the right person... can someone point me to that
"right person"? I haven't had much luck figuring that out.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>