FC3T2 I2O support installation t bug

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 14 01:49:29 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004, Michael Mansour wrote:
> > Is yours an on-board solution on a SuperMicro
> > motherboard? Mine is a
> > stand-alone PCI card, no firmware to be had on their
> > site.
>
> No it's not onboard, it's a separate card but is one
> of the only cards that the supermicro motherboard
> uses. It has a specific onboard PCI slot for that
> specific card.
>
> Here is what I have:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/GC-HE/P4QH8.cfm
>
> On that link look under "On-board devices -> RAID"
> where you'll see the following:
>
> "Support for Zero-Channel RAID w/ Adaptec 2010S ZCR
> Card (Card NOT included)"
>
> It's a separate card but the m/b has specific support
> for it.

Ah, okay, one of those things. Mine is an everything-on-the-PCI-card version.

> The server is a quad xeon with 4Gb RAM.

Damn. My machine sucks. :-) (Dual Athlon MP 2000, 2GB of RAM)

> > I was running an older firmware when I started down
> > this road, and recently
> > flashed it up to the latest I could find on
> > Adaptec's web site (1.62), still
> > no dice. I don't think I should need anything newer
> > than what's on the
> > manufacturer's web site, especially for a card that
> > is a few years old...
>
> On that Supermicro site there is the firmware 1.63 for
> that Adaptec 2010 card. I'll be upgrading the firmware
> on that card as soon as I have time and will then try
> FC3T2/3 again and report results to you here.

Sounds like a plan. I'll poke around there some more.

> If you discover anything in the mean time, please let
> us know also.

I actually have mine booting FC3t3, sort of. I installed FC1, dist-upgraded it
w/apt, installed the FC3t3 kernel, created a modprobe.conf, edited fstab, and
hacked into the initrd a bit. I have it to the point where the machine starts
booting, loads the i2o modules, recognizes the card and drives, starts up lvm
(everything but /boot and swap is on a logical volume), finds the root
partition, but then freaks out just after "welcome to Fedora Core" when the
system tries to run an fsck and dumps me into repair mode.

I think could actually get the system all the way up if I didn't have separate
logical volumes for /var and /home, but even with the device nodes present, I
can't get them to mount manually. No clue what's up at this point.

Tonight, I'll try upgrading the kernel to 607, see if that makes a
difference...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com