Minimal install (was: Re: Smaller /boot?)

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Thu Oct 14 21:20:22 UTC 2004

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 16:16 -0700, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> > The right person is "Mr. Bugzilla".
> >

> What component? Or have I missed something?

Anaconda. It's an option for the installer...

> However, some things are by group. For example, several things are
> needed by yum, but deciding to only include up2date in the minimal
> install (a reasonable choice IMHO since that is FC's "native" tool)
> allowed me to also remove about 10 other packages totalling ~22MB.

Good idea!

> Finally, there are some things I wish I could do but that are not
> binary "yes/no" package inclusion. There was about 30MB of stuff
> in /usr/share/doc in my FC1 minimal install. Simply eliminating those
> docs with some sort of "--no-docs" check box in the install would
> make the install over 10% smaller.
>
> The group things I can approach via Bugzilla. The docs stuff and such
> is harder for me to see how.

Indeed. It would have to be filed against every component which includes
documentation... Hmmm... *thinking aloud* Is it possible to mount
/dev/null to /usr/share/doc? ;=D Or just make /usr/dhare/doc a symlink
to /dev/null? But I guess mkdir in the install scripts will fail.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 9 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/