Minimal install (was: Re: Smaller /boot?)

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Thu Oct 14 21:45:18 UTC 2004

> Indeed. It would have to be filed against every component which includes
> documentation... Hmmm... *thinking aloud* Is it possible to mount
> /dev/null to /usr/share/doc? ;=D Or just make /usr/dhare/doc a symlink
> to /dev/null? But I guess mkdir in the install scripts will fail.

There's another 30+ MBs you can save on /usr/share/locale and other locale
directories - basically leave C, en_US, whatever locales you actually use
and delete the rest, you can also delete the locale_archive, as it's not
needed, you can also rebuild it as an added bonus after deleting the
fluff, trimming it from 30 to 0.5 MB.

Cheers,
MaZe.