FC3-Test3 + NVIDIA-6111 driver

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Fri Oct 15 15:11:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 16:38 +0200, Lars wrote:
> had to disable rhgb from the grub config to get it booting right.
> some tips for loading the nvidia module are here
> http://people.redhat.com/harald/udev.html
> maybe this helps
>
> best
> lars
>

> Nave, Ronald wrote:
>
> > Partial resolution of the NVIDIA-6111 driver problem:
> >
> > I down loaded the patched version of the NVIDIA-6111 driver
> > available at
> >
> http://gentoo.kems.net/gentoo-x86-portage/media-video/nvidia-kernel/files/1.
> > 0.6111/
> >
> > and was able to built the driver for the 2.6.8-1-610 kernel.
> >
> > I tested the driver by manually entering
> > "startx" from the command line and was able to bring up
> > X windows with the NVIDIA-6111 driver.
> >
> > However, when I rebooted , the system locked up part way
> > into the boot sequence at the line
> >

> > "Configuring kernel parameters"
> >
> > However, I discovered if I edit  /etc/inittab
> >
> > to start up in level 3 , the system boot up to the command
> > line login.
> >
> > After loggin in , I was able to once again bring up X
> > by typing  "startx".
> >
> > Also it is still necessary to edit
> > /etc/rc.d/rc/local
> >
> > by adding the line
> >
> > "/sbin/modprobe nvidia"

Just for the record, you can use a different X configuration for rhgb.
If the file "/etc/rghb/xorg.conf" is present, rhgb will use it instead
of the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf", so you can tell rhgb use the xorg "nv"
driver instead of nvidia's and then call "modprobe nvidia" from rc.local
so the nvidia driver will be used when the system boots to level 5.

Regards,

--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>