FC3t3 install: parted assertion failures, hang at very early boot

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Fri Oct 15 15:25:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

I tried installing FC3t3 on my home x86_64 machine last night.  It had
both FC2 and Windows 2000 installed as well, with about 40G of free
space.

Very early in the installation, right before Anaconda gets to the stage
of "Searching for existing Fedora Core installations", I get a number of
assertion failure dialogs relating to the partition table that come from
parted I believe.

Here's the anaconda log:
http://verbum.org/files/anaconda.log

I meant to include the output of fdisk -l but forgot to save it :/

My guess is the issue has something to do with the trick you had to do
to make Windows bootable after installing FC2.  I followed these
instructions (or something like it):
http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2.shtml
(Although the site appears to not be up now, maybe it will be familiar)

I ended up just nuking my entire partition table and reinstalling FC3t3
over everything else, which seemed to work.  Except that after
rebooting, my machine hung at "Verifying DMI Pool Data......", before
even grub had started.  Some sort of grub problem?

So I booted into rescue mode, and did this:
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev # bug 135860
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install '(hd0)'

Then I get this output repeatedly:
Unknown partition table signature

After about 15 seconds grub-install appears to complete successfully,
and after rebooting it boots FC3t3 fine.