Minimal install (was: Re: Smaller /boot?)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Oct 15 16:23:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 23:20 +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
> "Rodolfo J. Paiz" wrote:
> >
> > The group things I can approach via Bugzilla. The docs stuff and such
> > is harder for me to see how.
>
> Indeed. It would have to be filed against every component which includes
> documentation... Hmmm... *thinking aloud* Is it possible to mount
> /dev/null to /usr/share/doc? ;=D Or just make /usr/dhare/doc a symlink
> to /dev/null? But I guess mkdir in the install scripts will fail.

Hey Martin, good to see you.

The rpm command has a wonderful "--excludedocs" parameter with which it
can be called. If Anaconda had a "Do not install documentation (30MB)"
checkbox near the "Minimal Install" selection, or even if Anaconda had a
built-in default that "minimal" means no docs, then I'm sure the
Anaconda programmers could ensure that all the RPM commands used to
install the system included that parameter.

Now that I think about it, this doesn't sound that hard, does it? Did I
blink and miss something? Or perhaps I can just Bugzilla this as an RFE
to Anaconda and see what they say?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>