Network Manager questions

Bikehead bikehead at amberpoint.com
Fri Oct 15 16:39:36 UTC 2004

See below

   __o
 _-\<,_   Brian
(_)/ (_)  bikehead at amberpoint.com  x503

Dan Williams wrote:

>Quite correct, this is what should be happening already.  A few things
>to check...
>
>1) What kind of card is your ethernet card? (output of 'lspci' would
>help here)

I have a Dell laptop with a built in wireless card that appears to the
system and a PC card.  It seems to use the orinoco_cs, orinoco, hermes
driver combination.

>2) Have you clicked any entry in the panel applet? (When you manually
>choose an entry, NetworkManager will currently stick with that card no
>matter what, ie if you select the wired network it won't switch to
>wireless automatically.  If you leave NM completely alone, you'll get
>completely automatic behavior.  Whether this is correct behavior or not
>is debatable)

I added the Network Monitor applet twice: one for eth0 (wired) and one
for eth1 (wireless).  Are you saying if I click one of these it becomes
the "preferred" device?  If that is so the user should get better
indication that this is happening along with a way to unselect it.

>3) Does HAL see both your wired and wireless cards?  (run hal-device-
>manager from the hal-gnome package and look for your cards)

I ran this and my wired card is seen, but the wireless card isn't
shown.  However cardctl shows it.  On a side note shouldn't
hal-device-manager show the inserted card?  For me it only shows the
controller.

So this is my experience with network controller...with eth1 being a
wireless intersil PRISM internal cardbus using orinoco drivers and
configured with auto SSID, but encryption enabled:

* On boot both eth0 and eth1 are active and configured.  (I have them
both set to ONBOOT=0 so NetworkManager is starting them right?) Both
panel icons are shown as active

1 I use ifdown to bring eth1 down so only the wired eth0 is active.  The
panel icon for eth1 now shows the warning sign.
2 If I unplug eth0, network controller will not bring eth1 up.  Both
icons show the warning sign.  I use ifup eth1 to bring the wireless up
and now that icon shows acive.
3 I plug the cable back in and eth0 returns;  the warning sign on the
panel icon disappears.  However eth1 stays up too.
4 I use cardctl eject 2 to remove the wireless card and the "no go" sign
appears for eth1.
5 I use cardctl insert 2 to add it back and eth1 appears and is active
again.

Basically eth1 is never taken down unless I explicity do it.  It is also
started even if eth0 is present.

I also noticed that when I first start up, eth0 and eth1 enabled, and
unplug eth0 the routing table still has entries for eth0.  The default
gateway seems to arbitrarily pick between eth0 and eth1.  If it chose
eth0 and I unplug it then routing will be messed up since the system
will try and route through eth0 even though it isn't there anymore; if
it chose eth1 then it is routing requests through the slower interface
and when I take eth1 down I have a routing problem where the default
route is removed since it was eth1, but no new default route for eth0 is
added.

So eth1 isn't behaving like I would expect it to.  Am I using it in a
unintended way? Do I have a bug?  Is the PC Card aspect of it throwing
network manager off?