Minimal install of FC3

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Oct 18 16:08:48 UTC 2004

Hi!

I am beginning to work with FC3-T3 on a test box to see which packages
can be removed such that disk space and update bandwidth is reduced. My
primary purpose is to create a standard "minimal" install which is
significantly smaller than what Anaconda recommends, so that I can
install small servers (DHCP, DNS, NTP, router/gateway...) on top of this
base install using a small, secure footprint.

Of course I keep coming up with questions, so...

  1. Do I really need redhat-lsb? There are at least a dozen packages I
have found already (pango, gtk2, xorg*) which I would like to delete but
which are required by redhat-lsb. I don't want to break anything, but
this one package is really slowing me down.

  2. What is the "comps" package? It's huge, and AFAICT nothing needs it
or depends on it.

  3. I'm using "rpm -qa --queryformat %{SIZE}\t\t%{NAME}\n | less" to
look for the larger packages. However, it's hard to read the numbers
since they're left-justified and I cannot sort on size. Is there any way
I can sort on size descending, or put the size figures into a column so
I can right-justify them?

Thanks for any advice,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>