Rescue FC3T1

A. Kong ahwkong at ahwkong.com
Mon Oct 18 16:53:04 UTC 2004

Hi, all,

I have install FC3T1 for a while and is quite happy about it. All of the
sudden the harddisk (/dev/hda) of /boot failed and the PC cannot be boot
up again.
So, I replaced the harddisk, inrestalled FC3T1 and of course itthe PC
works again.

The problem is: in its previous 'life' , its mount is something like this:

/dev/hda1     /boot
/dev/md0      /
[snip]

That means I have used a RAID0 device to be mounted at '/'

When I reinstalled the system, since only hda is broken and I want to be
able to see/use /dev/md0, I only choose to mount
/dev/hda1 as /boot
/dev/hda2 as /

My problem is How can I switched the '/' form /dev/hda2 back to /dev/md0?

What I have tried is to change the kernel parameters in
/boot/grub/grun.conf and changed
root=LABEL=/        to
root =/dev/md0

In this case, when the boot up sequence reaches SELinux it just fires up
tons of message. The swtich failed

Can anyone advise me how to switch '/' moun in this case? Is there a
better way to rescue it.

BTW, when I tried to use the rescue function of FC3T1, it always failed
by reporting 'File already exists'. It then shows me the only choice :
reboot. I did not really write the exact error message because I was in
hurry.

(Sorry, I guess it is slightly OT. However, here is the only relevant
linux list I subscribed to and search using keyword like 'md0' or
'recovery' just produces tons of search results which is not possible
for me to sort out. :-(   )

Any help appreciated!

AK