Cannot write to /etc/samba/smb.conf. Program will now exit.

DAVID BENTLEY david.r.bentley at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 18 22:35:48 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 17:24, DAVID BENTLEY wrote:
> > I set all of my SAMBA shares up before doing any
> > updates and now if I try to edit them or add new
> > shares I get the following error message :-
> >
> > Cannot write to /etc/samba/smb.conf.  Program will
> now
> > exit.
> >
> > I will see if it works in the original kernel next
> but
> > I am surprised that there has been no mention of
> this
> > before now.

>  --- John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:
> Are you getting SELinux messages (e.g. audit(*):
> avc:) in
> /var/log/messages about access denied? If so you're
> running afoul of the
> SELinux security policy. If you're running >= FC3t2
> SELinux targeted
> policy is in effect. What is the avc message?
> --

I am using a fully updated core3 test 3 and I don't
see any avc message but there are messages at boot
regarding what selinux policy is in effect as follows

18 22:46:17 bentledr-1 kernel: SELinux:  Starting in
permissive mode
Oct 18 22:46:17 bentledr-1 kernel: There is already a
security framework initialized, register_security
failed.
Oct 18 22:46:17 bentledr-1 kernel:
selinux_register_security:  Registering secondary
module capability