Minimal install of FC3

Matias Féliciano feliciano.matias at free.fr
Tue Oct 19 06:22:55 UTC 2004

Le lundi 18 octobre 2004 à 16:02 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz a écrit :
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 19:19 +0200, Matias Féliciano wrote:
> > $ rpm -q redhat-lsb
> > package redhat-lsb is not installed
> >
> > Ooops
> >
> > Seems you can remove it if you don't need it.
>
> <grin> Yes, I know I *can* remove it since it contains almost nothing
> but dependencies required, and that by removing it I also gain the
> ability to remove another two-dozen packages that I'd like to deep-six.
>
> The question is, *why* is redhat-lsb there, and whose good intentions am
> I trashing by removing it? What are the consequences, possible harm,
> etc. of not being LSB-conformant?
>
> If I'm going to publish a HOWTO that suggests doing this (and my HOWTO's
> are getting over 2,000 unique visitors per month), I want to be damn
> sure that what I remove does not later turn out to be valuable one way
> or another.

Seems I don't understand.
$ rpm -q -i -p redhat-lsb-1.3-4.i386.rpm
        Description :
        The Linux Standards Base (LSB) is an attempt to develop a set of
        standards that will increase compatibility among Linux distributions.
        The redhat-lsb package provides utilities needed for LSB Compliant
        Applications.  It also contains requirements that will ensure that all
        components required by the LSB that are provided by Red Hat Linux are
        installed on the system.

If an application need lsb to work properly, then the package require
redhat-lsb. If not, then it's bug that should be filed in bugzilla.

$ rpm -q --whatrequires --dbpath  /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat/ redhat-lsb lsb
no package requires redhat-lsb
no package requires lsb

This does not mean that Fedora do not ship lsb compliant applications.

redhat-lsb is a meta-package for third party, for package that will be
installed in several distributions. A package that require lsb = 1.3
just add "Requires : lsb = 1.3". It's a short-cut.

Should Fedora install redhat lsb by default ?
I don't know.

Should you write a HOWTO-minimal-lsb ?
I don't know.