Awesome job

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Tue Oct 19 18:35:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 12:37, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 00:28 -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> >   And there are most definitely some improvements in Gnome 2.8 that make
> > me think that maybe, just maybe we've finally caught up, or at least
> > almost caught up to the to the Windows/MAC world in the area of
> > usability.  (I'm primarily talking about areas we've *needed* to catch
> > up, of course.  There are definitely some gross things we need to leave
> > behind.)
>
> Can you go into some more detail on all of this paragraph? I'd like to
> see what you mean about some things so I can then add some comments and
> learn something in the process.

  Sorry, I was away for a while.  Hmm...I intentionally left out the
details, but for no earth shattering reason.  I was just being lazy :-).

Some things I like:

  o Insert a USB key and up pops a nautilus window with the files on the
    key
  o Plug in a digital camera, and up pops the tool to import the pictures
  o OOo now uses the new gtk2 filechooser.
  o Desktop sharing via vnc is now simplified via vino.

  As far as some things I don't like about the Windows world that I
don't want to see copied in GNOME, I'm a bit a loss at the moment.  I
know there are some, but I'd have to dig through a bunch of old mailing
lists or some of my older rants to find them.  In general, I don't like
the general 'feeling' I get when using Windows (any version).  It's like
I'm locked into the behavior M$ would like to keep locked into and it's
often difficult if not impossible to change it to my liking.  TweakUI is
nice, but still doesn't cut it.  But I can't put a finger on why.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator