FC3 and Nvidia...

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Tue Oct 19 23:43:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 16:05 -0700, Bikehead wrote:
> I have been having slow performance on neverwinter nights.  After
> following some suggestions on this news group I looked at the linked
> libraries in the system trying to find non-nvidia version of libGL.so.
> Sure enough I found some in /usr/X11R6/libGL.so.1.2 which is owned by
> xor-x11-Mesa-libGL.

Installing the nvidia driver over the top of these libs is the real
culprit of your problem, the nvidia driver replaces *some* of the Mesa
related stuff blindly, but not all, leaving libs to get in the way
occasionally.

> I tried removing the package, but it is required by too many other
> packages.  I tried moving the library and linking to
> /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.611 which is the nvidia version, but that crashed
> X.  Does anyone have some other suggestions?  I know others have claimed
> to have gotten games to work under FC3.

This is a much better approach, using the rpm.livna.org package for the
nvidia-glx libraries, and building your kernel module specifically from
the sources in the nvidia driver.  This leaves the Mesa libs alone, but
just doesn't reference them (because the nvidia libs are loaded first).

To convert from nvidia installer to this method, uninstall using nvidia
installer, then restore Mesa (rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL, then
yum install xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL).  Follow instructions below after that.
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=106977&postcount=76

Also, this was discussed recently with some other suggestions, searching
the list archives for "nvidia" should turn up lots of goodies (as well
as searching fedora forum).

Note, rebuilding the nvidia-glx srpm doesn't work yet (last I tried),
but that would be the idea of what I'm suggesting above.

--
Andrew Farris <andrew at andrewfarris.com> <lordmorgul on freenode>
- CPE student, Cal Poly SLO

"..the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)