upgrade from Fedora Core 2

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Oct 20 22:45:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 23:27, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> It may not be supported, but why shouldn't it work?
> I upgraded from test2 to test3, without problem.

I think this is the rationale: upgrading from FCn to FCn+1 (i.e. from
one final release to the next final release) is, of course, fine;
upgrading from FCn to FCn+1-testX is fine because it tests the upgrade
process; however, upgrading from any FCn-testX is strongly discouraged
because test releases are by their nature bug-ridden and the upgrade
process is specifically only tested for final release to (proposed) next
final release. If you do the latter your machine may end up in some kind
of borked state, which you will likely report to the list and on
bugzilla and no one will really be able to determine if your problems
are genuine ones which may potentially affect non-test-release users or
whether they were specifically caused by your upgrading from a test
release to a final release. Of course there is nothing to stop you doing
what you proposed, but if things don't work out right then please don't
post about them or buzilla them before trying to reproduce them on a
clean install or supported upgrade.

Best, Darren