Latest Fedora Core 3 status: kernel testing needed

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:09:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:58:48 -0500, Andrew W. Donoho <awd at ddg.com> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2004, at 12:52, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > Now, it so happens that I fully understand that you guys don't have all
> > the time/resources/people/money you might like and that you're doing
> > the
> > best you can. I also respect what "the best you can" has produced so
> > far.*
>

> Folks,
>
>         Let me go on the record of saying that with the old Redhat Network
> support there was actually a money stream to support the community
> channel. With the transition to RHEL and the higher annual expense

Actually the amount of money from RHN at that point would probably
only covered the bandwidth charges.. not the colo costs, and
definately not the costs of developers/testers. The boxed sets were
barely paying for themselves, and the people wanting the extra RHN
were on the order of 1 in a hundred (and it was about 1 box sale for
every 100 downloads). RH was making profitable money mostly from large
support contracts but not at the rate that it could continue "losing"
money on RHN/boxsets.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator