while installing nVidia on kernel 2.6.9-1.639 FC3 warning about rivafb module

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Thu Oct 21 19:16:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 17:33 +0600, Alor wrote:
> While installing nVidia driver 6111 on FC3 test 3
> with kernel 2.6.9-1.639 I get message:
> WARNING: Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a
> loadable kernel module.

This is a warning telling you that the module was compiled, but not
necessarily if it is being used.  You should be use rivafb even though
the kernel supplies it -- it will not interfere unless you deliberately
(and knowingly) are using it. (just make sure its not loaded, use lsmod)

> After installing and setup in xorg.conf nvidia
> the system is not booting.

I suggest an installation method at FedoraForum in the post linked
below.  There are two large issues, installing the glx libraries which
my method in this post will show, and then dealing with a bug in the
driver which a new kernel change has exposed (it is a bug nvidia will
fix.. but you can 'workaround' for now).

(here how to install in FC rawhide in a sensible manner)
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=106977&postcount=76

(here how to deal with _VMALLOC_RESERVE being an unknown symbol)
Patch nv.c found in the driver sources after you use the --extract-only
option, with this patch.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=454467&postcount=3

And a more thorough discussion if you're still needing info.

> After replacing nvidia by nv in xorg.conf is OK. but not nvidia
> driver.

You must make sure the module is loading (it will not be until you fix
the above problem).  After you've patched the driver, make sure the
module named 'nvidia' loads, then try X.

> What is rivafb and how can I it disabled?
see above

--
Andrew Farris (lordmorgul) <andrew at andrewfarris.com>
- CPE student, Cal Poly SLO, pgp keyid 4430F405 pgp.mit.edu