FC2 & FC3 SCSI issues

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Thu Oct 21 19:37:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 14:32 -0400, Bill Cronk wrote:
> I have not resolved my SCSI RAID box problems when running either FC2 or
> FC3t2 or FC3t3. I have been reading over past messages in the
> fedora-test-list archives and have not found anything related yet to the
> problem I am experiencing and am having difficulty resolving.
>
> So let me reload my issues here to the list:
>
> First off I have multiple RAID boxes originally setup on seperate
> servers. I now have new servers which I want to put into my network, but
> due to the problems getting the RAID boxes to load correctly I can't.
>
> The problem(s): Originally I had the hard drive ID across all drives in
> a RAID set to the default linux setting, did not have them configured
> with 'fd' ID. These RAID boxes work on older installations and two of
> them work on one server which has the full FC2 install.... I don't know
> why they work and I can not duplicate the setup on new installs. They do
> have different motherboards between the two servers.
>
> On the latest test server I have FC3 installed, built one new RAID box
> of 14 drives in a JBOD configuration with software raid5, and added on
> the second SCSI port another RAID box setup as raid0 from another
> server. I can make both start up and work by running a script which does
> what should happen in the boot cycle. If I leave the normal raidtab file
> in place then all fails and the boot cycle drops into single user mode
> for repairs to the system. I believe now that this problem could have
> been overcome by removing the spaces in the raidtab file at the
> beginning of the 'raid-level' statement.
>
> However, following a suggestion from a person here in the
> fedora-test-list, I changed the drive ID to 'fd' and I started to try
> using mdadm to mange the RAID which when combined now opens another
> whole set of problems for me. One RAID box works fine on the Adaptec
> U320 add on card, two RAID boxes starts the confusion and results in one
> box not setting up due to the /dev/md1 device file missing. Tried
> creating the /dev/md1 then setting up the RAID and it all works just
> fine. Reboot the computer and /dev/md1 is gone.
>
> So how is one supposed to fix this type of a problem which basically
> revolves around the missing /dev/md1, but my impression is that between
> udev and hotplug this should not have happened. Shouldn't the additional
> SCSI RAID device being detected have automatically setup the device file
> needed and connected to it? What needs to happen then if I needed to
> plug onto three out of four SCSI ports on this box? Currently I believe
> nothing would happen... it would just not work.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Sorry for being long winded...
>
> Bill

Did you set up the mdadm.conf file and describe all the arrays in it?

It's been a while since I set mine up and after converting to the 'fd'
partition type, it always just works without needing to configure the
mdadm.conf file. I only have one array though. I would guess that if you
set up the mdadm.conf file and used mdadm --assemble, possibly in the
rc.local file, it might at least pick up the second array.

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |