fedora-test-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 111

Bill Cronk ngc4013 at cox.net
Fri Oct 22 00:45:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at  15:37:58 -0400, Thomas J. Baker wrote:

> Did you set up the mdadm.conf file and describe all the arrays in it?

> It's been a while since I set mine up and after converting to the 'fd'
> partition type, it always just works without needing to configure the
> mdadm.conf file. I only have one array though. I would guess that if you
> set up the mdadm.conf file and used mdadm --assemble, possibly in the
> rc.local file, it might at least pick up the second array.

> tjb

Thanks for responding Tom.

Actually I did modify the mdadm.conf file and strangely enough when I hand create the /dev/md1 needed for the second RAID drive, then run my scripts such as 'mdadm -A /dev/md0' and then 'mdadm -A /dev/md0', the drives set up opposite of what I thought they should. In other words the drive on the second port sets up as /dev/md0 and the drive on the first port of course sets up as /dev/md1. Funny thing though they are scanned in correctly when the SCSI port scan occurs.

Anyway, first problem to fix is the creation of /dev/md1 and having it stay when rebooted. With the new utilities, such as mdadm, hotplug and udev, that I never played with before this has become very puzzling. I really don't want to go back to the other mode of operation with running the scripts, but will if I need to. Problem is that if I put the code from the scripts into the init files then some other admin type person that may be working on my computers in the near future won't know enough to find them or even ask.

Bill