Prism 2.5 / orinoco driver fails under load

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 02:13:20 UTC 2004

Hiya,

I'm running Fedora Core Test 3 with all the latest updates (kernel
2.6.9-1.639) on an IBM T30 laptop.  For the most part, things work
great, but I'm having problem with my wireless (the built-in).  I used
to have this problem with FC1, but with FC2 it had gone away.  The
problem is this:

whenever I try to send something from the laptop to another machine
(via SCP, FTP, etc), I start getting the following message repeated
indefinitely on the console:

eth1: Error -5 writing Tx descriptor to BAP

...the system load goes so high the system becomes unresponsive and I
need to reboot (forcibly).  Sometimes, if I catch it in time, I can
stop it by bringing down the wireless interface and unloading the
orinoco/orinoco_pci/hermes modules.

I've googled and found some older posts on the subject, but no
resolution/suggestions -- just people describing the same problem.  I
checked Bugzilla, but don't know what component this would be filed
under...

Anyone have any pointers/advice/similar experiences to share?
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves