Latest Fedora Core 3 status: kernel testing needed

Karsten Hopp karsten at redhat.com
Fri Oct 22 07:00:21 UTC 2004

> Is it considered proper Bugzilla etiquette for an average user (i.e.
> non-developer) to close bugs that that same user opened? I personally
> have bugs that I have opened that have been fixed (either collaterally
> or directly ... regardless, what was broken worksforme now) with no
> comment in the bug from anyone. It seems fairly benign to me to be able
> to close them or revoke them in some way. It would likely go a long way
> in cleaning up some of the falsely open bugs in a way that distributes
> the triaging accurately. I have not tried to do such a thing due to
> developers freaking out (justifiably) in other bugs when someone goes
> and messes with the bug header info. It seems to me that if you are the
> source of the bug report, you are qualified to know when whatever was
> buggy works now. Maybe even just a "Revoked" status that would make it
> easier for official triagers to sort through the massive volume of false
> negatives.

You'll save a lot of developers time when you close the report as soon as you
notice that the bug has been fixed(with a patch or by a newer upstream
version).  Add the version of the fixed package in a comment so that others
with the same problem know which version they have to download and just close
the bug. The developer then doesn't have to try to reproduce the bug and can
move on to the next open bug.

Have a look at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/bug_status.cgi#closed:
>This can be changed by the reporter, assignee, or others with proper
>permission.

 Karsten

--
 Karsten Hopp <karsten at redhat.de>   GPG 1024D/70ABD02C
 Fingerprint D2D4 3B6B 2DE4 464C A432 210A DFF8 A140 70AB D02C