Latest Fedora Core 3 status: kernel testing needed

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Fri Oct 22 13:20:46 UTC 2004

Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>@redhat.com on 10/22/2004 01:03:30 AM
wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:44:46 -0400, Michael Wiktowy <mwiktowy at gmx.net>
wrote:
> > Is it considered proper Bugzilla etiquette for an average user (i.e.
> > non-developer) to close bugs that that same user opened? I personally
> > have bugs that I have opened that have been fixed (either collaterally
> > or directly ... regardless, what was broken worksforme now) with no
> > comment in the bug from anyone.
>
> If you opened it and it works now and the maintainer never changed its
> state or commented...close it using the resolution that makes the most
> sense. For change in behavior brought about by installing an update..
> close it as currentrelease.

Thats true If I happen to try the issue again, just in case it was fixed.
But more likely is that I'm waiting for the developer to inform Bugzilla
that he addressed the issue, and provided a fix for me to test when
Bugzilla
sends me a followup email.  Without that developer comment, the loop
isn't closed, the email notification method isn't invoked and the user
can't tell if the problem _was_ fixed, or the problem 'just went away'
,only to bite you another day.

As a developer at work for over 25 years, I've come to the conclusion
that this process must be driven by the developer, not the user.  Only
the developer knows if the problem is fixed.  The user can only confirm it.