Folding at Home (what is this?)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 22 13:48:26 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 02:38, Tom Taylor wrote:
>On Thursday 21 October 2004 21:21, joelbryan wrote:
>> Hi, For the sake of science, will Fedora Core participate at
>> Folding at Home?
>>
>> --
>> Music = Apple iPod + Rhythmbox & iTunes
>> Browser = Mozilla Firefox & Epiphany
>> Desktop = Gnome, Mac OSX, Longhorn 4074
>> Distro = Fedora Core
>> Language = PHP, MySQL, Python, HTML
>> Graphics = Gimp 2.0, gThumb
>> Editors = FrontPage 2003, vi, gedit
>> Codecs = FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, Apple Lossless
>
>Hmmm:
> Folding.  Is this like an origami party?  Or perhaps an envelope
> stuffing afair?
>
> Home.  Whose? Why? Where? When?
>
>Hee, hee, hee says he while ducking the tomatoes.
>
>Tom

Its a program to study how proteins fold as they combine to make the
end products chemically.  It has quite far reaching implications in
the development of new drugs.  Such research requires the sort of
processing power thats only available from the organisational aspect
of something like setiathome.  I'm currently running seti, but the
replacement for seti, called boinc (and I forget exectly what that
acronym stands for), I will probably convert to when seti runs down.
Its also doing various areas of medical research, but isn't limited to
that only.  Both would seem to be projects that have potential for
the betterment of mankind whereas seti is basicly an itch scratcher.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)