FC3T3: fstab-sync, ieee1394, and mount points

Graydon graydon at epiphyte.net
Sun Oct 24 23:39:30 UTC 2004

Using FC3T3:

Ok, so the little Shuttle box has a firewire drive enclosure plugged
into it all the time that I want to have connect _as a normal drive_ at
boot time.  (Because if I mount the /media/ieee1394 drive with the entry
hal leaves in /etc/fstab, selinux proceeds to make rsync barf; since the
external drive is the backup drive, I very much don't want that.)

If I hand edit /etc/fstab so that the relevant entry is:

/dev/sda1               /backup 		ext3    defaults	1 2

Everything works fine.

How do I convince fstab-sync to provide an entry like that?  Is there
something else I need to convince?

Along with this, there's the partition used for hard drive
installs, which I can't label at install time.  fstab-sync is
picking it up as well, as a noauto removable drive.  I don't think
that's entirely sensible default behaviour for a partition on the
primary hard drive.

/dev/hda5        /media/idedisk     ext3    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

If there's some documentation with examples, I'd appreciate a pointer;
the man page is not informative, at least not if one doesn't already
understand hal and UDIs.

Thanks!

Graydon