Netapplet

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Oct 25 00:40:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Nadeem Bitar wrote:
> Please include the netapplet[1] in FC3.
>  I have spent the last few hours trying to compile it myself and install
> it with no success. For mobile users who change network settings two
> times a day or more, this applet is a must.

Nadeem,

netapplet won't get in FC3 for a few reasons...

1) FC3 is already locked.  No new things are going in, and only critical
bugfixes make the cut.

2) We're moving to NetworkManager
(http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager).  NM uses dbus and exposes
a rich network information and control interface to userspace
applications, much more than netapplet does.  What NM doesn't do that
netapplet does right now is support dialup connections, but in the near
future we hope that's a possiblity.  Except for dialup, NetworkManager
does everything that netapplet does, and alows user applications like
Evolution, Firefox, etc to know about the network state (like offline
mode, for example).  It also automatically switches network interfaces if
desired, so that when you dock your laptop for example, it will switch to
the wired interface automatically.

3) There really isn't a place for more than 1 wireless applet, and we had
3 to choose from (gnome-applets one, NetworkManager, and netapplet)

Dan