K3b under FC3rc1 x86_64 - keep permissions

Chuck Adams k7qo at commspeed.net
Mon Oct 25 15:09:47 UTC 2004

>Well, it's all about the way you mount the CD... look in /etc/fstab. It is
>mounted read-only :), so nothing can have the write flag.
>Think about backing up a tar.gz, which keeps all flags.

Yes, fstab did mount the disc ro, but that does not change the file and
directory permissions.
The file permissions are not changed.  Only the directories are ro when the
disc is mounted.

I changed the fstab entry to allow rw, but the system shows the device as
ro and aborts
the mount command as an error due to wrong option.

I used to do the conversion to tar files per directory for backups before
the use of a DVD.
I would like to have the capability of doing backups without the overhead
of converting to tarballs
before writing to DVD......

The issue of keeping w permissions on directories seems to be internal to
K3b and a bug report
has been filed with them.

Thanks,

Chuck Adams, K7QO     CP-60 WPM
k7qo at commspeed.net

http://www.k7qo.net/
http://www.commspeed.net/k7qo

Moving to Arizona?   Bring your own water, please.