install corrupts existing ext3 multi-boot partitions

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 16:07:44 UTC 2004

Hi,

>The original poster suggests that even unmounted filesystems can be
>affected by intalling FC3.  Is that true?  And if so will it be fixed
>before FC3 is released?

I'm the original poster. What I saw that was happening was that all hard drives
were being included by default into fstab. It was quite a while ago. The problem
comes from 2 places. If the old drives are mounted and a mount while booting into
a se linux enabled system causes the mount count to exceed the number of mounts
before running fsck...it will potentially write to the old drive. Or, if you boot
into a se linux session and copy a file to the old partitions, you might
introduce corruption.

I've noticed that the problems come in 2 flavors...you get messages about
corruption and a kernel panic that freezes the machine.

I don't know if the old partitions still get included in fstab by default. I
changed what I'm doing to avoid the problem. I want to think some changes were
made in hal that helps the problem.

-Steve Grubb