install corrupts existing ext3 multi-boot partitions

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Mon Oct 25 23:14:49 UTC 2004

> In theory, you should be able to remove the SELinux attributes from the
> filesystems if you want to use them with the older kernels, e.g. boot
> FC3test3 with selinux=0, then run
> 	find / -exec setfattr -x security.selinux {} \;
>
> You need selinux=0 as SELinux won't let you remove them if it is active,
> but you need a kernel that includes the xattr security handlers to
> remove them, so you need a 2.6 kernel like the FC3test3 one.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did that (boot FC3test3 single
selinux=0; mount the filesystem in question; cd there;
find . -exec ...; sync; unmount) but rebooting the RH9 system
still got "attempt to access beyond end of device".  So it did not
work for me.  What did work was to create a new filesystem of the
same size without the ext_attr attribute, boot FC3test3 selinux=0,
cpio the entire old filesystem to the new filesystem, adjust the
ext3 label, /etc/fstab and mtab, then boot the new filesystem.